County of Santa Clara Issuing Veteran I. D. Cards 6/12/14

#1 Postby boardman » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:28 pm

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

June 11, 2014

Gwendolyn Mitchell/Laurel Anderson Richard Herrera

Office of Public Affairs Office of Veterans Services

(408) 299-5119 (408) 918-4980

County of Santa Clara Issuing Veteran I. D. Cards Beginning June 12

Veteran I. D. Cards can be used as proof of military service, to receive discounts at local businesses

SANTA CLARA COUNTY, CALIF. –Veterans can obtain Veteran I. D. cards at the Santa Clara County Office of Veterans Services beginning June 12. Veterans can use the new identification cards as proof of military service, instead of carrying DD-214 papers, to access services, benefits and receive discounts at many local businesses. There are approximately 85,000 veterans living in Santa Clara County.

“Providing new identification cards to veterans is one small way we can show our appreciation for their service to our country, ” said Gary Graves, County of Santa Clara Chief Operating Officer.

The cards may be used as proof of honorable service in the United States Armed Forces. With the new I. D. card, a veteran will no longer need to carry a copy of military discharge papers (DD-214) to provide proof of service.

To obtain an identification card:

· Make an appointment with the Santa Clara County Office of Veterans Services, located at 68 N. Winchester Blvd., Santa Clara, 95050, by calling 408 918-4980.

· Bring copy of discharge papers (DD 214) showing Honorable discharge or General (Under Honorable conditions) discharge and photo I. D. such as a driver’s license or military I. D.

· Complete a short application form found at www.sccgov.org/vets, or arrive 15 minutes prior to appointment to fill it out at the office.

During the appointment, an official photo will be taken for the identification card. Veterans will have the opportunity to meet with staff at time of appointment to briefly discuss other benefits available.

“We are very proud to offer new identification cards to veterans in Santa Clara County, ” said Richard Herrera, Director of the Santa Clara County Office of Veterans Services. “The County’s new Veterans Identification System will make it easier for veterans to show proof of military service and to obtain discounts at local businesses. ”

Many businesses in Santa Clara County and the Bay Area offer discounts to veterans, including San Jose Giants, Great America, Lowes, Home Depot, Regal Cinemas, Wing Stop, Chili’s, Applebee’s, Denny’s, Apple, Walgreens on Tuesdays, AMF Bowling and Santa Cruz Boardwalk. Veterans should check with businesses to confirm discounts.

The Office of Veterans Service assists veterans and their families in obtaining benefits and services accrued from military service. The office staff assisted 4,000 veterans in the office in 2013, and assisted another 18,000 with services over the phone.

Services provided to veterans include: Benefits claim assistance; telephone claims assistance; survivors assistance; claims filing; case management; information and referral; processing appeals and home visits and outreach. The office will also liaise with other organizations on behalf of veterans, including: VA Health Services, VA Veterans Centers, Veterans Administration, Veteran Service Organizations, Employment Development Department, and Cal Vet Home Loan Assistance.

# # #

Gwendolyn Mitchell

Director, Office of Public Affairs

County of Santa Clara

70 West Hedding Street, 11th Floor East

San Jose, CA 95110
Tom
Boardman & Webmaster
"See You On The Other Side"
8)

Return to “News From the Council”