boardman
Site Admin
VVA Chapter: 47

Vice Pres. Calls Marin Veteran Who Sends Packages To Troops

#1 Postby boardman » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:32 pm

Vice President Biden calls Marin veteran who sends packages to troops
By Brent Ainsworth
Posted: 06/23/2009 04:09:23 PM PDT

Thomas Burford was scanning groceries at the Mollie Stone's store in Greenbrae on Saturday when he got a message on his cell phone. When he took a break from his checking job a little bit later and listened to it, he was perplexed. The caller identified himself as Vice President Joe Biden. "I thought I was getting pranked," Burford said.

As he listened to the recording, Burford whispered to a co-worker that it was the vice president.

"Vice president of the company?" the co-worker asked.

"Of the United States!" Burford mouthed back.

Biden addressed Burford as "sergeant," so he must have known that Burford was a retired sergeant in the U. S. Air Force and a Vietnam veteran. The vice president went on to thank Burford for his

efforts with Operation Triple H, a nonprofit Burford founded and oversees that has shipped about three tons of goods to troops in Iraq and Afghanistan over the past four years. At the end of the two-minute message, Biden invited Burford to call back if he needed any support for the nonprofit and left his cell phone number.

Burford called it back to make sure it wasn't a friend playing a trick on him. The call went to voicemail, but it was clearly the VP's voice.

"That took my legs out a little bit," Burford said.

AnnMarie Tomasini, a Biden press aide, confirmed the call. "The vice president was touched by a letter Mr. Burford wrote to him and wanted to thank him for it," she wrote in an e-mail.

Burford, of San Rafael, is good

friends with Paul Olson, the father of Army Spc. Nicholas Olson, a Novato soldier who was killed in Iraq in 2007. Burford credits Paul Olson for helping him keep Operation Triple H - "Helping Our Heroes From Our Homes" - alive during its ups and downs; the trailer Burford keeps for supplies is nearly empty now and he's in need of more donations. "I have a great friend in Paul Olson, and the vice president mentioned him because his own son is over in Iraq now," Burford said. "(Biden) said he and Barack Obama had talked about my group and how much it means to the country."

Biden's wife, Jill, is a member of Delaware Boots on the Ground, which offers gift cards to Delaware-based service members. The Bidens' son Beau, 40, is a member of the Delaware Army National Guard and was deployed in October 2008.

The vice president thanked Burford for his military service, which lasted from 1970-78.

"He said we are all responsible to meet the needs of these young people we send overseas," Burford said. "We don't want to just pick them up and throw them in a war situation and say, 'Have a nice day.' We need to do more for them."

Burford laughs as he talks about the conversation he missed with the No. 2 politician in the free world.

"One of the greatest moments of my life went to voicemail," he said.

IF YOU'RE INTERESTED

- Among the goods needed for Operation Triple H care packages are dried foods, personal hygiene items, new undergarments and sports apparel and entertainment items such as CDs, DVDs, books, playing cards and crossword magazines.

- Operation Triple H will have a donation drive for troop supplies July 25 at the Marin Rod & Gun Club's annual picnic in San Rafael. Admission is $12 to the picnic and donations can be dropped off there, 2675 E. Francisco Blvd.

- Supplies for troops may also be dropped off for Operation Triple H at the House of Steel gym, 33 Mary St., San Rafael, during normal business hours.

- To learn more about Operation Triple H, check http://groups.google.com/group/operation-triple-h/web
Tom
Boardman & Webmaster
"See You On The Other Side"
8)

Return to “News From National”