Site Admin
VVA Chapter: 47

Veterans bills passes House Veterans Affairs Subcommittee

#1 Postby boardman » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:27 pm

Veterans bills passes House Veterans Affairs Subcommittee
NEWS FROM…CHAIRMAN BOB FILNER HOUSE COMMITTEE ON VETERANS’ AFFAIRS

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: July 10, 2008

http://veterans.house.gov

Subcommittee Approves Legislation to Increase Access for Mental Health Care for Veterans’ Families

Washington, D.C. – On Thursday, July 10, 2008, the House Veterans’ Affairs Health Subcommittee led by Chairman Michael Michaud (D-ME), approved six bills that would improve health care delivery and services for veterans provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

Chairman Michaud offered the following statement: “I look forward to working with my colleagues in the full Committee and this Congress so that we can further increase access and improve health care treatment for our veterans.”

The following bills were reported favorably to the full Committee:

1. HR. 1527, as amended – Rural Veterans Access to Care Act

The bill would establish a pilot program to allow certain veterans to receive covered health services through a non-Department health care provider.

2. H.R. 6114 – SUNSET Act of 2008

This bill would remove the requirement for written informed consent for HIV testing among veterans thereby reducing existing barriers to the early diagnosis of HIV infection and would require VA to follow the same standard of HIV care that is recommended to non-VA patients.

3. H.R. 6122 – Veterans Pain Care Act of 2008

This bill would direct VA to develop and implement a comprehensive policy on the management of pain experienced by veterans enrolled for health care services provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs.

4. H.R. 6366 – Veterans Revenue Enhancement Act of 2008

This bill would mandate the VA to centralize third party billing functions at consolidated centers, instead of individual VA Medical Centers.

5. H.R. 6439 – Mental Health for Heroes’ Families Act of 2008

This bill would repeal the specification that in order for family members of non-service connected veterans to be eligible for counseling services, the counseling must be essential to permit the discharge of the veteran from the hospital.

6. H.R. 6445 – To prohibit the Secretary of Veterans Affairs from collecting certain copayments from veterans who are catastrophically disabled.

This bill would prohibit the collection of copayments from veterans who are catastrophically disabled (Category Group 4) for hospital or nursing home care.

Bob Filner, Chairman of the House Committee on Veterans’ Affairs, offered the following statement: “I believe that the tireless work of the members of the House Veterans’ Affairs Subcommittee on Health has provided this Congress with strong legislation to improve health care for veterans and I commit to working with my colleagues to pass comprehensive and bi-partisan legislation.” Puntillo Appointed Deputy Secretary For Veterans Services
Tom
Boardman & Webmaster
"See You On The Other Side"
8)

Return to “News From National”