Legislative Background 13-1

Latest news from the veteran community regarding benefits, legislative issues, etc.
boardman
Site Admin
VVA Chapter: 47

Legislative Background 13-1

#1 Postby boardman » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:07 pm

On Monday, December 3, the state Legislature convened for one day to be sworn in for the 2013-14 (2 year) legislative session and then departed to their districts.

This year saw a doubling of new members. In all there were thirty-nine new members sworn in. There were thirty-eight new members in the Assembly and one new member in the Senate (who was not previously an Assemblymember). The new Senator is Senator Richard Roth from Riverside County. He is a retired Air Force General who served in the JAG Corps.

All brand new members can serve up to twelve years in the Legislature. This can be twelve years in either the Senate or the Assembly or a combination of both Houses. This should bring some relief from the previous constant turnover of only six years in the Assembly.

Additionally, all district lines have been redrawn based upon 2010 census data and renumbered by an Independent Commission.

The legislators have returned to their districts until January 7 when they reconvene at the Capitol.

Between now and then, they will be setting up their Capitol and District offices, hiring staff and attending events they are invited to.

Two year sessions always get off to a slow start because of the many new members and because the two chambers need to organize the committees.

While Assembly Committee Chairs have been selected, the Senate has not selected all its Committee Chairs. Committee members have not been selected in either House.

I will be updating this information as I receive it. (see http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalertlat ... posts.html)

If your organization has a Legislative Day at the Capitol, I recommend that you concentrate on the new members first before going to see other members, unless they are in key positions.

I will shortly be sending out more information on how to find out who your new legislators are.

Pete Conaty
Pete Conaty & Associates
1107 9th Street, Suite 530
Sacramento, CA 95814
916-492-0550
916-492-8957 fax
916-768-8940-cell
www.peteconaty.com
Tom
Boardman & Webmaster
"See You On The Other Side"
8)