News from the California Department of Veterans Affairs "News For Veterans."
boardman
Site Admin
VVA Chapter: 47

Gov. Celebrates First Annual WHVVD

#1 Postby boardman » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:11 am

Governor Schwarzenegger Celebrates First Annual
“Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day”

Continuing his commitment to honor our nation’s men and women in uniform, Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger today attended the Vietnam Veterans of America recognition ceremony and presented his proclamation for the inaugural “Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day” in California.

Last year, the Governor signed AB 717 by Assemblymember Paul Cook (R-Yucca Valley) to establish an annual “Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day.” AB 717 encourages all public schools in California to observe the day and conduct exercises recognizing the contributions of all those involved in the Vietnam War on March 30th of every year.

Governor Schwarzenegger presents his proclamation for the inaugural "Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day" in California. From left to right: Assemblymember Paul Cook (R-Yucca Valley), Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day Founder Jose Ramos, Assemblymember Marty Block (D-San Diego), Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, Senator Jeff Denham (R-Merced) and Jon Voight

The text of the Governor’s proclamation for March 30, 2010 is below:

PROCLAMATION

Many years have passed since the Vietnam War was waged, and despite the divisions that existed in our country, our troops continuously demonstrated the best of the American spirit by performing amazing acts of heroism. Our Vietnam veterans deserve our respect and recognition for everything they did to defend freedom, which is why I am proud to proclaim March 30 as Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day.

This day of appreciation, like the Vietnam Veterans’ Memorials in Washington and in Sacramento, is a tribute to the sacrifices of all the American veterans who served in Vietnam. It is a time for us to reflect on our past, and March 30 represents our continued dedication to honoring and supporting our veterans as we offer all of them a heartfelt “welcome home.”

I encourage every Californian to take a moment this day to remember the brave veterans of the Vietnam War. It is never too late to recognize the selfless actions of these courageous men and women who answered duty’s call and served our nation.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER, Governor of the State of California, do hereby proclaim March 30, 2010, as “Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day.”

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Great Seal of the State of California to be affixed this 24th day of March 2010.

ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER
Governor of California

ATTEST:

DEBRA BOWEN
Secretary of State
Tom
Boardman & Webmaster
"See You On The Other Side"
8)

Return to “News For Veterans”