Chapter 201 Newsletter - July 2009

Post your chapter's newsletters, events and information here. Or send it to boardman@vvacalsc.com and it will get posted here.
boardman
Site Admin
VVA Chapter: 47

Chapter 201 Newsletter - July 2009

#1 Postby boardman » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:20 pm

VVA Chapter 201 - Newsletter www.nichecom.com/vva

OBSERVATION POST July 2009 We meet on 3rd Monday monthly (next on 8-17), at 7:30pm, held upstairs at American Legion Post 564, 2120 Walsh Ave, Santa Clara, anyone is welcome. Pres: Bob Beresford, 408-258-5205, bear1robert@sbcglobal.net VP: Barbara Johnston, 408-847-5477, barbj201@aol.com Sec/Treas: Mike Shaw, 408-246-2288, poka513@comcast.net

The United Veterans Council (UVC) is making good progress on fundraising to hold the 2009 Veterans Day Parade in San Jose, $28K received, $10-15K to go.

VA income rules have changed making it easier for more Vets to enroll. Vets who applied after Jan 1, 2009 and were denied due to income will automatically be reconsidered. Vets who applied before Jan 1, 2009 will need to reapply. For more info, contact VA Health Resource Center 1-877-222-VETS (8387) or visit www.va.gov/healtheligibility. A Web-based calculator enables Vets to enter income, dependents and zip code to assess if they fall within the new rules. Request military records online: www.archives.gov/veterans/evetrecs Federal Benefits for Vets: www1.va.gov/opa/vadocs/current_benefits.asp

Military veterans and active-duty personnel are eligible for discounts on cellphone plans. Some companies require online registration to get it. Many companies, including Verizon, offer discounted plans for 65 and older.

DogTags is a program where prison inmates raise puppies to become service dogs for returning soldiers, with every Chewy Shoe dog toy purchase, $2 is contributed to DogTags: 1-800-595-0595, customercare@fetchdog.com, www.fetchdog.com/pet-supplies/dogtoys/c ... hoe/T20011

Veterans receive a discount on some Norwegian Cruise Line cruises and can be combined with a California resident discount, contact: Michael Suber, 1-877-416-9722 x4136, msuber@ncl.com, www.ncl.com

Military Order of the Purple Heart job info: www.vetsjobs.net VA info for Returning Service Members: www.oefoif.va.gov Agent Orange Blog: http://agentorangezone.blogspot.com/

* Bingo every Thursday, 7-9pm, Palo Alto VA Auditorium, Building 101. Help is needed donating/serving refreshments to the hospitalized Vets. * Jul 25, 11:30am, BBQ sponsored by AVVA 201, Menlo Park VA (101 + Willow Rd), BBQ is held inside entrance on left, donations/volunteer help needed. * Aug 8, noon-5pm, Keep the Spirit of '45 Alive, History Park, 1650 Senter Rd, San Jose, $6 parking, 408-287-2290, www.spiritof45.org, donations needed. * Sep 18, 11am, POW/MIA Flag Raising Ceremony, San Jose City Hall, 200 E. Santa Clara Steet, parking validation available for City Hall Underground Garage accessible on 6th Street. * Sep 18, 5:30pm, 10th Annual POW/MIA Dinner, held at Legion Post 564, 2120 Walsh, Santa Clara, 408-379-9604, acrollis@pacbell.net, $30 each, $270 table of 10, price increase after Sept 11, anyone is welcome. * Sep 19, 10am-6pm, POW/MIA Recognition Poker Run, begin at Legion Post 564, 2120 Walsh, Santa Clara, motorcycles and cars welcome to participate, needed: Veteran/Fraternal Posts to host a Run Stop, award/prizes, donations, 408-605-0894, <sacred. trust@sbcglobal.net>, 408-607-4030, bobj201@yahoo.com * Sep 19, 6pm, POW/MIA Recognition 24 Hour Watchfire Beginning Ceremony, held at Legion Post 564, 2120 Walsh, Santa Clara, anyone welcome. * Sep 20, 5:30pm, POW/MIA Recognition 24 Hour Watchfire Ending Ceremony, held at Legion Post 564, 2120 Walsh, Santa Clara, anyone welcome.

Job offer: travel with the Traveling Tribute and get paid too: 507-380-2465, info@avtt.org, www.avtt.org, AVTT, 809 Cambridge Bend, Tyler, TX 75703.

---

POW/MIA Recognition Poker Run & WatchFire Event Flyers are located here, they're DOC files and each is about 1mb: www.nichecom.com/vva

VVA Chapter 201 - Newsletter Page 2 - July 2009 www.nichecom.com/vva

Where is the fire? No, don't look outside or around the house, I'm talking about the fire that was once inside you. It was there, I know it was because you joined VVA Chapter 201 and are still either a dues paying member or a Life Member and for that we are grateful, however we don't see you anymore. At one time there must have been a fire inside you to associate with other brother Vietnam veterans, to help us serve others like us and to associate socially with others like us, yet it has been a long time since we have seen you, or perhaps we never have seen or even met you, if not we would like to. You see, our numbers are getting smaller. I was reading the taps section of our magazine a few weeks back and was stunned by how many guys were right in my age bracket (I'm 69) so as our numbers shrink I believe our need to help each other increases in so many ways.

We understand that as time moves on things change, health problems arise, family issues become more complicated and family status itself changes at times. However, that's what we are here for, to help each other. There are many ways we can do that, there are many programs that can help provide assistance, however at times the best help is just to have someone who has been where you have been to talk to. we are here for that too.

So, tell me is that fire still there inside you? Or perhaps it has cooled down to just a smoldering ember. If the fire is still burning come on down and join us again we want and need you to be with us. If the fire has died out quite a bit and is just smoldering there what can we do to fan it back to life.

Seriously, what was it that stopped you from coming to our once a month meetings and what can we do to get you to come back to them. If you have not been to any of our meetings give us a shot, come on in. If you had and decided not to return why, what caused you to make that decision and how can we get you back down here with us? I know when I first came my first impression was how small the group was and I almost did not return, but then I decided that by not returning I would be part of the problem not part of the solution.

Every month now we are still just a handful that gathers together and now I'm a member of the board and I'm still asking myself why, why is this. We meet the third Monday of every month at 7:30pm in the room on the second floor of the American Legion Hall at 2120 Walsh Ave. in Santa Clara between San Tomas Expressway and Scott Blvd. Myself and the rest of your brother and sister veterans would love to see you come and join us once more, and again if there was a reason you once attended but stopped, what can we do to bring you back, how can I help bring you back. You can contact me at my e-mail which is <tenyankee1@comcast.net> and my name is Ted. I hope to hear from you soon, or even better I hope to meet you soon at one of our meetings. Ya know we may only be a few, but if each one of us came we would no longer be just a few. Each one of you counts and each one of you is very important to us.

Sincerely,

Ted Hoppenrath Board Member VVA Chapter 201
Tom
Boardman & Webmaster
"See You On The Other Side"
8)

Return to “CSC Chapter News”